The BTCC returned to Hampshire circuit Thruxton on Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th May for rounds 7, 8 and 9.
Thruxton has the highest average speed of any circuit visited by the BTCC and Hampshire drivers Rob Collard (West Surrey Racing) and Dan Welch (Welch Motorsport) were looking to take advantage of their home round.
The same weekend also saw rounds 7, 8 and 9 of the 2015 MSA Formula Championship. Hampshire driver Ricky Collard drives for team Arden Motorsport.
Free Practice 2 on the Saturday was interrupted by suspension failure to Dan Welch’s Proton that delayed proceedings shortly before mid-session. Unfortunately this also meant that he had to sit out the remainder of the race weekend.
Team BMR’s Aron Smith claimed his first ever Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship pole position during the qualifying session followed by Honda Yuasa Racing teammates Gordon Sheddon and Matt Neal. Hampshire driver, Rob Collard secured 10th place on the grid for Sunday’s first race (round 7)
A 1-2 for Honda Yuasa Racing teammates Gordon Sheddon and Matt Neal, with WIX Racings Adam Morgan in 3rd.
1. Gordon Shedden (Honda Civic Type R)
2. Matt Neal (Honda Civic Type R) +1.016
3. Adam Morgan (Mercedes-Benz A-Class) +2.710
13. Rob Collard (BMW 125i M Sport) +21.127
Team BMR driver Jason Plato finished first after a very close battle with Hampshire driver, Rob Collard who came in 2nd less than half a second behind. Honda Yuasa Racing driver, Gordon Sheddon finished in 3rd.
1. Jason Plato (Volkswagen CC)
2. Robert Collard (BMW 125i M Sport) +.442
3. Gordon Shedden (Honda Civic Type R 16) +3.475
Starting from pole position, WIX Racing driver, Adam Morgan secured his second BTCC career victory with a fantastic drive in the final race of the day. He was followed home by MG Triple Eight Racing driver, Andrew Jordan and West Surrey Racings Sam Tordoff.
1. Adam Morgan(Mercedes-Benz A-Class)
2. Andrew Jordan (MG6 GT) +1.452
3. Sam Tordoff (BMW 125i M Sport) +2.641
14. Rob Collard (BMW 125i M Sport) +16.022
1. Gordon Shedden (Honda Yuasa Racing) – 114
2. Colin Turkington (Team BMR) – 106
3. Matt Neal (Honda Yuasa Racing) – 103
4. Jason Plato (Team BMR) – 102
5. Andrew Jordan (MG Triple Eight Racing) – 99
6. Adam Morgan (WIX Racing) – 98
7. Jack Goff (MG Triple Eight Racing) – 80
8. Rob Collard (Team JCT600 with GardX) – 76
9. Sam Tordoff (Team JCT600 with GardX) – 71
10. Aron Smith (Team BMR) – 64
Sandy Mitchell took his maiden win after starting from pole.
1. Sandy MITCHELL (TRS Arden)
2. Matheus LEIST (Double R) +1.533s
3. Daniel BAYBUTT (JTR) +7.873s
4. Ricky COLLARD (TRS Arden) +8.015s
Lando Norris took his third victory of the season from 10th on the grid.
1. Lando NORRIS (Carlin)
2. Sandy MITCHELL (TRS Arden) +1.027s
3. Rafael MARTINS (SWB) +1.257s
4. Ricky COLLARD (TRS Arden) +1.300s
A 1-2 for team Arden and the second win of the weekend for Sandy Mitchell. His Hampshire teammate, Ricky Collard leaves Thruxton with a Championship lead of 10 points
1. Sandy MITCHELL (TRS Arden)
2. Ricky COLLARD (TRS Arden)
3. Lando NORRIS (Carlin)
1. Ricky COLLARD (GBR) – 130
2. Daniel TICKTUM (GBR) – 120
3. Lando NORRIS (GBR) – 115
4. Matheus LEIST (BRA) – 105
5. Sandy MITCHELL (GBR) – 86
6. James PULL (GBR) – 78
7. Colton HERTA (USA) – 49
8. Jack BARLOW (GBR) – 48
9. Sennan FIELDING (GBR) – 43
10. Daniel BAYBUTT (GBR) – 41
The next event at OULTON PARK takes place on 06-07 June and we wish Hampshire Drivers Rob Collard, Dan Welch (Welch Motorsport) and Ricky Collard all the best. We will be watching your progress.